Sunday, January 21, 2018

The Truth

The truth seems to be I can't post any articles with photos if I use the Blogger app! I'll have to get a better app. I did hear of these issues from others.

But I said I'd update at least for me and I will dammit.

I have my partners pants pattern traced on my recycled plastic. I'll be transferring it to cloth later today.

I've been using a large roll of recycled plastic packaging I got from Reverse Garbage back before I did my own salvaging. Although it has a lot of benefits one drawback was storage. If they wrinkled they were useless.

So now I transfer a great deal of my t&t patterns to fabric, usually old sheets or muslin, with notes directly on the fabric. For things I make often this is extremely helpful. I keep my altered muslin with all its new edits ready to slap on fabric and cut out more. The thickness of the cloth means pins and weights are nearly (but not entirely!) unnecessary. Just a few on the curves or on particularly slippy fabric and were good to go!

I also found this last year I MUCH prefer cutting on a single layer. I will use extra muslin I have from salvaging (there's a lot - like 300m worth of different fabrics perfect for muslins including actual muslin of varying weights) and cut out both sides of an 'on the fold' piece.

Laying out one length of fabric is much easier to preserve fabric and line up...well..everything. Pattern. Grain. I just HATE lining up two sides of grain perfectly. I often am one or two threads off and that's enough to bug me.

So I bought men's and women's jeans kwik sew patterns (the real basic ones) for my partner and I but it seems the female one was fine for both of us.

It's a good thing it has finished measurements on the pattern pieces because I don't get this ease sh*t with pattern companies. And usually KS isn't so bad.

The women's STRETCH jeans have 10cm (roughly four inches) of ease but the men's non stretch ones have half an inch. What?  Shouldn't stretch denim have negative ease? Annnnyway. I have it set to my EXACT measurements so I can use whatever I want.

I have been buying fabric again but its been really picky. I only want cheap and good since I can find anything now. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment